The Amazing Officer Collins

Meet GW’s new Student Resource Officer!

Giabella Turano & Camryn Minckler (grade 6) were Caught Doing the Right Thing by Officer Collins

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Molina

Giabella Turano & Camryn Minckler (grade 6) were “Caught Doing the Right Thing” by Officer Collins

Cassandra Miller, Staff Writer

Last school year, the upperclassmen may remember seeing different police officers in the halls of our school.  The Wayne Police Department was trying to place retired police officers in each of the middle schools, and until they found a good fit, we had a different officer each day on hand to help us out if we needed it.  Well in May, Officer David Collins was placed in George Washington Middle School and we couldn’t be happier. Officer Collins is our new Student Resource Officer. Prior to coming to GW, he had been a police officer for almost 28 years.  Each day since he has been here, he has helped to make GW a safe place to learn, and he is even doing his best to make it a kinder place. I decided to interview him to get to know a little more about the person who keeps our school safe. 

What is your role at GW?

I’m a school resource officer and I’m basically here to protect all students and teachers in the school from threats or other endangerments. Even when I’m not in the hallways with the students, I can monitor them with the schools camera system.   I’m always in the hallway during classes and the change of classes. When school starts and ends, you can find me outside watching over our students. I try to also be present during lunch and recess periods.

8th Grader Sarah Bensaid “Caught Doing the Right Thing”

What did you do before working at GW?

Before working here I was employed by the Wayne Police Department for almost 28 years.  I spent 6 years on patrol, 9 years in the Traffic Bureau, and 13 years in the Detective Bureau until I retired.  For the last 5 years I also worked as a Juvenile Detective, which gave the qualifications to work here at GW.

How is this job different than your previous job?

I’m here to make sure everyone is safe.  When I was working as a regular police officer, I investigated all types of crimes, such as burglaries, thefts and other bad events.  Now, I work to make sure the school is safe every day for our students and staff.

What is your favorite part about working at GW?

My favorite part is interacting with the students.  I want to let them know that I’m always here to help them.  The Wayne Police Department started a program called “Catching kids doing the right thing.”  We look for kids going out of their way to be kind and when we see it, they will get a reward for their kindness.

Do you have any hobbies outside of school?

I like to exercise.  I’ve completed 9 marathons and I want to do one more to make it 10.  I also like to watch sports. My favorite teams are the New York Mets and the New York Giants

Anything else you’d like to share with us?

I really enjoy my job here and have had great experiences so far.  I especially like working with the administration, Mr. Leonard and Mr. Smilon. 

8th Grader Hedi Benayed with Officer Collins

More on “Catching Kids Doing the Right Thing”

The Wayne Police Department started a program this year called “Catching kids doing the right thing.”  Students who are ‘caught’ being kind to others may receive a reward from Officer Collins or any teacher/guidance counselor.  So far, students have been rewarded for helping others pick up books, or holding doors open for others. They are many ways to be kind throughout the day, and Officer Collins is hoping this program will help to make our school a little kinder each day.