GW Honors Veterans

Annual Veterans Day Assembly

Avery Derstine and Lauren Toole

As you know, Veteran’s Day is November 11, also known as the day were we celebrate military veterans. Recently, in honor of this holiday, our school had an assembly in order to show our appreciation for those who served. Prior to the assembly, veterans were invited to have breakfast in the cafeteria. The school provided things such as bagels, fruit, juice, and many other delightful treats. The cafeteria was also nicely decorated with student artwork, and patriotic balloons. During this time, we noticed that there were a variety of veterans in different uniforms. Some of these included the army, navy, and the marines. At the time, veterans and their families were allowed to interact with everyone in the room, creating a joyful environment. Everyone later lined up by the gym in preparation for the assembly. 

Then, the fun began. Newly this year, drums and bagpipes were played as the veterans and their families walked into the decorated gym for the assembly. As they entered, the students and staff welcomed them with a standing ovation. To start, the chorus and band performed songs like the Star-Spangled Banner and Land of the Free. Also, they asked the veterans to stand when hearing their position during the song of the Armed Forces. They then began to announce the contest winners.

As a GW tradition, we have a poster and poem contest. For these contests, students write a poem or make a poster to respect the people who have served in the armed forces. Many students enter the contest, and the winners get to show their artwork or read their poem to the crowd of the assembly. This year, the winners for the poem contest were Mumhammed Hasseeb (7th grade), Hailey Stein (8th grade), and Casandra Miller (6th grade). All of these students wrote spectacular poems which each made us feel grateful to have this amazing holiday. Now, onto the poster contest. For this contest there is only one winner. This year the winner was Lailani Hernandez (7th grade). She made a beautiful poster that showed the essence of Verteran’s day. All of the students did a great job and all of the veterans and GW are thankful for their effort.

After all of this commotion, our student council president, Alex Puentes, implemented a speech on behalf of how grateful our school is for the vets. Mr. Smilion then invited students to call out their family members name and force as people recognized them through clapping. Finishing the list of names, our vice principal called up a guest speaker, who was a former principal  at GW. Then, out of surprise, Dr. Krawiec , who was a principal at GW in the early 2000s, requested Mr. Leonard to come up and accept an award. The award stated that our school demonstrates the most gratitude towards vets. To wrap up the festivities, staff and family members helped pass out gifts of coins, flags, and cards signed by students. The band then presented an ending song as the veterans exited the gym and made there way to the media center.

Back in the media center, the veterans got to spend more time conversing and enjoy some beverages. They got to discuss about the assembly that had just taken place and the generous gifts that were received. Moving on, all of GW would like to thank all the veterans and their families who took time out of their day to let us thank them for everything they have done. We hope that they all had a great time. Also, we would like to remind you that this holiday isn’t just thanking them for their bravery. It’s also about honoring what they have gone through. Some vets are still haunted by events from their service and we would like to acknowledge that. With that said, we should all be helping vets everyday rather than just taking time out of one day every year to show our appreciation. In the end, Gw’s Veteran’s Day assembly this year was one to remember. 

All photographs were taken by our newspaper photographer, Adrian Niser.