Field Day Returns to GWMS After a 3 Year Hiatus

Landon Li, Staff Writer

While the school year winds to a close, field day activities have been ongoing for the different grade levels around the school. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, these events have had to be canceled in recent years. Prior to this year, none of the students concurrently attending GWMS had ever experienced a middle school field day before. As the first instance of field day since 2019, a lot of excitement has arisen around these events. To learn more about these occasions, I spoke to some of GWMS’s physical education faculty. 

Mr. Nicholas DeChino

Physical Education and Health Instructor at GW Middle School

This is the first time in years that events like these may be held. How excited are you about this year’s field day activities?

Yes, this is my first year participating in school activities and events like this. I am very excited not just to be a part of it, but to see students outside of the classroom having fun and celebrating a great year. It is great to see students of different friend groups join and participate in the events we are running here at GW. 

What’s your favorite part of instructing for field day?

I think there are two parts; seeing the eighth-grade helpers aid the younger students and take on leadership roles, as well as seeing the spirit and enthusiasm of the sixth-grade students participating in different events. It’s wonderful to see students share abilities that might not be shown throughout the year on this day.

Regarding the selection process for field day helpers, what are some of the qualities or traits you seek in students? 

Students who are able to show leadership qualities throughout their three years at George Washington. This can be shown physically, vocally, and intellectually. A large thing we are looking for is respect, not just among their peers, but with all of their teachers throughout the school. There are multiple jobs that need to be taken on during our field day, so we are looking for a variety of helpers to complete those tasks. Some qualities are enthusiasm, participation, respect, and kindness towards their peers and as stated above, general leadership. 

After having your first “normal” year back teaching PE and health, are there any things you’ve learned or taken away from this unique experience? 

I think during the past two and a half years, I learned a lot about communication and integrating different styles of technology to help each student. I think one thing we had taken for granted was the relationships we had built in person. From the first day this year, getting to know the students and building from this throughout the school year is something we haven’t been able to do in the past two years as much as we are able to in person. Making sure that each student is not just taught, but led through the proper instruction has been most important. 

What do you think regarding the future of physical education next year? What hopes do you have for teaching next year?

I think we will continue to bring back a lot of the things we had prior to the pandemic, such as changing into uniforms and continuing to build on the consistency from this year. This will help both the students and teachers. Having a full year with no restrictions will allow us to cover more sports and topics that we have had in the past. This will also allow us to continue to integrate more technology and things we were able to apply to our class since shutting down. 

Mrs. Elizabeth Tible

This is the first time in years that events like these may be held. How excited were you about this year’s field day activities?

We were really, really excited this year. First of all, because of what’s happened, we didn’t have it on the schedule, so we made a point at the end of the year to go down and ask if we could please have these field days for the kids because we want them to have a regular activity that they’ve been missing. The excitement was threefold, really. A lot of excitement. I’m so happy that it went so well. 

I love watching the groups work together (homerooms). I love the whole atmosphere outside. I think the music added to the atmosphere this year. I love that the kids are cheering for each other because I feel like with COVID, things have become a little negative and now this is positive to be rooting with each other. I love the tug of war. Just everybody cheering and shouting and so energetic. I know Mr. Leonard opened the door to the outside, felt this wave of cheering, and thought “This must be a tug of war”. And the kids always love the ice pops while we’re waiting. Being with my colleagues, we all did pieces of it, and for all of it to come together, it’s very rewarding.

It was hard this year because of the no-changing, but it’s usually a student who always changes for phys ed, is always doing the right thing, and is respectful. We need kids who are quiet to score, we need kids who are assertive to explain the activities, and we need athletic kids to run the physical aspects. Showing respect and kindness to others. Athletic kids to do the chasing and running and throwing. A variety, but the main thing is respectful to your teacher, always doing what you’re supposed to do, and somebody who can work with other people. Field day doesn’t happen without the eighth-grade helpers, because we can’t possibly run around and do all the stations. This is the first year kids didn’t know what a field day helper was because they didn’t have a field day in middle school. This year was a little different, but I think now the 6th and 7th graders have seen what they can do and lead a station to have fun with their friends. 

One of the things I love about teaching is my connection to the kids. I felt like there was less of a connection. Although I did have a big connection to kids when I taught virtual, when the masks came off, I felt like I started to connect to the kids and build relationships again because I could see their faces. Not that I didn’t know who they were, but. I think we all learned not to take anything for granted and to appreciate every moment. I’m really glad the 8th grade is able to do a lot of the “normal” things this year. I did learn that socialization is important and that being at home isn’t really great, y’know? I think it makes you a more positive person being in school. Thank goodness we were in person all year, as there’s no substitute. I’ve always wanted to retire this year, but now I want to enjoy my last year and not be stressed or anxious. 

Next year, we’re going to have to sell uniforms to every single kid because not every kid has a uniform. But I see it getting much better. I see more structure with the change. Geared more towards fitness and doing a lot of fitness activities that we couldn’t in the small gyms. Now, we can do a lot more of the true activities that we teach. It’s gonna be so much better. I want to leave on a good note that it’s going in the right direction. It’s really hard to take phys ed in the clothes you wear at school, because first of all you’re sweating, and you’re not comfortable. It’s hard for the kids, and it’s hard for everyone. I think the structure will really get it back on track and really put more emphasis on fitness. 

Overall, it appears the field days this year have generated a lot of excitement among the students and faculty. Although none of the students were able to attend a field day in prior years, the events this year were able to run smoothly. As a field day helper, I assisted the 7th grade, and I could see how much fun a lot of the students were having. Hopefully, with the gradual easing of the pandemic, these events can continue for years to come.