GW’s Annual Pink Out and Kiss the Pig

Students+dressed+in+pink+for+GWs+annual+Pink+Out+celebration+that+culminates+in+the+Kiss+the+Pig+assembly.+

Students dressed in pink for GW’s annual Pink Out celebration that culminates in the Kiss the Pig assembly.

Samantha Bologna, Staff Writer

During the month of October George Washington Middle School’s staff and students participated in events to raise money for Susan G. Komen in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. 

On October 10 students were able to get pink hair extensions provided by Christina by Design Salon of Pequannock, NJ for a $10 donation to Susan G. Komen. Over $1,000 dollars was raised both in school and at the salon where the fundraiser continued for members of the community who wanted to contribute to the cause.  

Throughout the month students contributed to the Student Council-sponsored fundraiser by putting money in the bucket of the teachers they would like to see kiss a pig in an annual event. This year’s pig is named Lord Pork Chop, a male Juliana miniature pig from Fairlawn, NJ. The winners of the Kiss the Pig event along with the total amount raised for the cause were revealed on October 27 during a schoolwide assembly. The teacher winners for Kiss the Pig were Ms. Kozak and Mrs. Massella, the runners-up were Mrs. and Mr. Medley.

In total, $1,310 was raised for Susan G. Komen and $1,000  was raised for the Snowball dance.