Veteran’s Day 2018

Ella Dikun, James Sun, Warren Lee, and Meghan Rydell

The Veteran’s Day program is a school tradition we have here at George Washington Middle School that started many years ago when former Principal, and veteran, Dr. Krawiec first held this wonderful assembly.  During this program we celebrate Veterans and we acknowledge what they  have done and continue to do for us Americans. To help our Veterans feel welcomed, students write poems and make posters. Veterans that attended were invited by students and teachers in our community.

What better way to start off a celebration than with food?!  Our guests of honor were greeted with a nice hot breakfast in our media center.  The breakfast given to the veterans was delicious and to prove that are my interviews. My first interview was with Ms. Hecht, who teaches science in our school. She was there with her family and they said the food was delicious and plentiful. Ray Cifelli, a veteran whose daughter is in 6th grade, said the breakfast was delicious, generous, and very unexpected. All in all he gave it 5 stars.

The Veteran’s Day program is a school tradition we have here at George Washington Middle School that started many years ago when former Principal, and veteran, Dr. Krawiec first held this wonderful assembly.  During this program we celebrate Veterans and we acknowledge what they have done and continue to do for us Americans. To help our Veterans feel welcomed, students write poems and make posters. Veterans that attended were invited by students and teachers in our community.

What better way to start off a celebration than with food?!  Our guests of honor were greeted with a nice hot breakfast in our media center.  The breakfast given to the veterans was delicious and to prove that are my interviews. My first interview was with Ms. Hecht, who teaches science in our school. She was there with her family and they said the food was delicious and plentiful. Ray Cifelli, a veteran whose daughter is in 6th grade, said the breakfast was delicious, generous, and very unexpected. All in all he gave it 5 stars.

Aside form the fact the food was great, during the breakfast hand selected student council members talked to the veterans. Members learned about the veterans experiences serving our country and even about their lives. Many members have said it was a great experience, thank you to all who helped.  

After the breakfast and chat, veterans were escorted to the gym where they walked in serenaded to music provided by our school band. Throughout the assembly, veteran were honored and recognized by our school. Veteran were individually called name by name to rise and were then honored. Veterans also received signed cards and special coins from our school.

Throughout the ceremony the 7th and 8th grade band played military tones while the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade chorus accompanied them. The event was started by a former veteran now teacher Mr.Willbergh who lead the flag salute. Wonderful speeches then followed from Mr.Leonard and Mr.Smilion which brought a sense of community as well as importance to the event. Other speakers including the student council president and winners of the poetry contests were also an important part of the assembly, showing the schools appreciation towards the veterans. To go further, one of GW’s students made a beautiful poster that was unveiled during the ceremony.To conclude, the Veteran’s day ceremony was a moving and touching assembly that showed GW’s true spirit. Congratulations to all the winners, and a special thank you to all the veterans who bravely served our country.