Predictions for the 2019 NBA Draft

Ameer Rabboh, Guest Writer

During this year there have been many phenomenal college players but only the best of the best will make it to the NBA. I’m here today to discuss my predictions for the 2019 NBA draft.

Zion Williamson-New Orleans Pelicans

The first pick will most likely be Zion Williamson, a 6’7” 285 pound freshman from Duke. Zion was one of the most dominant players when he played there until he committed to the NBA draft. Zion was a forward for Duke who averaged 22.6 points, 8.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.8 blocks, and 2.1 steals. Zion’s strengths include getting to the basket and scoring at close range. Zion is great at getting rebounds and putting it back in with a 40 inch vertical. Zion is an unguardable beast on the court with different moves to confuse his defender.

Ja Morant-Memphis Grizzlies

At second pick it probably will be Ja Morant, a 6’3” 175 pound sophomore in college. Ja is an amazing guard with crazy athleticism. He played for Murray State and is the full package with good ball handling, a good jumpshot, and crazy athleticism when it came to the paint. Ja was a point guard that averaged a double-double with 24.5 points, 5.7 rebounds, 10 assists, and 1.8 steals a game. Ja could shoot and slash so defenders had a hard time guarding him. Ja was even compared to Russell Westbrook.

RJ Barrett-New York Knicks

At third pick it will be RJ Barrett, a 6’7” 202 pound freshman in college. RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson was an unstoppable combination. Barrett is an all around player that could slash and is a decent shooter from mid and three range. Barrett averaged exactly as many points as Zion. Barrett was a forward that averaged 22.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, and 4.3 assists. Barrett was on both sides of the alley-oop, with great passes and the ability to finish at the rim. Barrett scored the most points this season than any freshman in ACC history.

De’Andre Hunter-Los Angeles Lakers

At fourth pick it should be De’Andre Hunter, a 6’7” 225 pound sophomore in college. Hunter is an all around player with great athleticism, a good jumpshot, great defense, and decent ball handling. Hunter was a guard for Virginia that averaged 15.2 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 2 assists. Hunter is an explosive athlete and would take pullup jump shots over layups if the defender was sagging off of him. De’Andre Hunter is one of the more mature players of the draft and will fit well on most teams.

Jarrett Culver-Cleveland Cavaliers

My final prediction is that the fifth pick it will be Jarrett Culver, a 6’5” 195 pound sophomore. Culver was a guard for Texas Tech and carried them to the Final Four. Culver’s strength is playing inside the paint and he is also a decent shooter. Culver averaged a phenomenal 18.5 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.7 assists, and 1.5 steals. Culver is a determined scorer and is good at anticipating the pass for a quick steal. One problem that Culver has that most people recognize is that he is good at all things but not great at one thing.