Return to In-Person Learning

Adrian Niser

Now that school is back in person full time, students have to adjust to using lockers again.

Noa Turro, Staff Writer

This is the first time since March of 2020 that all the students of George Washington Middle School are back in school together. When schools shut down in March 2020, students did all their work virtually. Last year, the 2020-2021 school year, there was a choice of hybrid-learning, where students would have 2 or 3 days a week in school and the rest of the week at home, or being fully virtual. Being back at school full time is a big adjustment for everyone, so we asked one student from each grade to share their experience so far in this school year, with having all students back at school. 

Questions we asked students were: How are you liking the school year with everyone back? Are there any new challenges since being back? What is your favorite part about being back? Are there any things you would want to change about this school year? These were some of the answers we got below. 

Sadie Kirz, Grade 8

1. I think that it’s a good experience to be able to see all your friends and peers again, and have fully in-person learning again after the hybrid.
  2. Remembering to get schoolwork done if it’s not finished in class. Last year, the teachers would constantly post in google classroom streams to get all work done, This year, we aren’t getting as many reminders so it’s a little bit more of a struggle.
  3. My favorite part about being back is being able to see all my friends. Another favorite thing is that teachers can actually interact with students, instead of sending videos or talking through google meets.
  4. If I could change one thing about school this year, it would be to let the eighth graders go to Washington DC. 

Alison Wajda, Grade 7

1. I love how everyone is back in school and we get a somewhat normal school year again.
  2. Yes, there are a lot of challenges coming back. The main one for me is balancing all of my schoolwork, and making sure I have time to get everything done. 
  3. My favorite part about being back in school is being with all of my friends again.
  4. I like how my year is going so far, so I wouldn’t change anything so far.

Gracie Turro, Grade 6

1. I like that everyone is back. Since I am a sixth grader, I was able to meet everyone from the other schools, instead of half the grade.
  2. In the beginning of the school year, it was hard for me to get from class to class in 3 minutes. Now that we have been back for a little while, it is a lot easier.
  3. Seeing my friends again is probably my favorite part of being back, since some were in a different cohort last year.
  4. Since everything is almost back to normal like having everyone in school with no cohorts and full day, there wouldn’t really be anything that I would want to change.

Overall, it looks like students couldn’t have been happier to be back, and we all hope that this year can be great, even with any challenges that are in the way. 

Photography by Adrian Niser