Music in the Parks

Congratulations%21%21

Congratulations!!

Guest Writer

On May 10, 2019, Mr. Vigiletti’s band ensembles and jazz ensemble, along with Mrs. Medley’s choirs and Eaglettes group, competed in the annual Music in the Parks competition. After arriving at Jackson Liberty High School, which is located in Jackson, New Jersey, the bands set up in the auditorium. The 7th and 8th grade band performed 3 songs, 2 of which were judged. Shortly after, the 6th grade band played their pieces, and the jazz ensemble played an array of catchy music. One of the songs that were performed by the Jazz Band featured Isabelle Mailman, who played the saxophone with stunning tone quality and sound.

At the same time, Mrs. Medley’s choirs got ready for their performance in the gymnasium. First, the 6th grade choir sang 3 songs, 2 of which were adjudicated, similarly to the format which the band followed. Next, the 7th grade chorus performed, with Hayley Stein performing as a soloist.  The 8th grade chorus followed, of which Katie McDermott was the soloist for. Lastly, Eaglettes performed, with Katie performing as the lead soloist once again.

After their performance, members of band and chorus got to enjoy a fun-filled day at Six Flags. In groups of 3-5, chorus or band students would be led around the park by a parent chaperone, where they could go on a multitude of rides. Later in the day, students were given a food voucher, which they could use in certain restaurants. After lunch, students resumed to go on rides. At 3:45, though, all band and chorus members were to meet up at a location in the park at which the awards would be received. Students from different middle schools piled onto the bleachers. Then, the teachers were called up to the middle of the area, with Mr. Vigiletti and Mrs. Medley having the most unique (and entertaining) entrance by far. They zoomed around the area wearing DC superhero capes, and it was a sight to behold. After the rest of the teachers were called to the front, the awards were handed out. In every category in which it was eligible, GW middle school won the #1 award. Awards consisted of the ratings superior, the best rating, and excellent, the second best rating. All in all, GW’s band and chorus did a pretty great job!