Thoughts on Chromebooks

GWMS is now 1:1 with Chromebooks. But, what is the overall thought of this new piece of technology

Landon Li, Cassandra Miller, and Julie Gustus

This year the students of GW have each received their Chromebooks to replace most of the notebooks and textbooks.   We live in a tech-based society and as we get older, we will be expected to use technology all the time. Having them now in the classroom is meant to help us learn computer skills while we’re young. However, putting computers in front of young people poses challenges. To find out more about the benefits and possible problems with Chromebooks in the classroom, we asked several teachers for their opinions on this topic.

Mr. Willbergh, 6th/7th Grade Social Studies Teacher 

In what ways are the Chromebooks useful to you in your subject field? 

“Chromebooks are useful in my topic because it helps information be shared for the topic and with them having Google Classroom it makes it even easier to share the information.”

Have you found them to be distracting in any way?

“My least favorite part about the Chromebooks is that kids sometimes will rush through the work just so they can do relaxing stuff like playing games on Chromebooks.”

6th grade students were provided with clear and green cases to protect their Chromebooks.

Any other thoughts to share? 

“The room is very quiet since we have gotten the Chromebooks because it’s like the kids are in their own world.¨

Mrs. Weiss, Media Specialist 

“I work with all teachers, subjects, and students who have access to the media center website, which has access to the entire media center. What I think is great about having the Chromebooks is that the media center website is open 365 days 24/7 for ebooks and now students can access their work at school or at home.”

“The only time Chromebooks are a distraction is when you add things to them like an extension for gaming.¨  Have you found them to be distracting in any way? 

Final thoughts? 

¨I think that Chromebooks are a great asset. I love that students have them.¨ 

Mrs. Facciolla, 6th Grade ELA Teacher

“In Language Arts, the Chromebooks are nice to create a digital portfolio. It’s also a nice way to be able to communicate and share documents with students.”

“It’s very easy to click on other tabs, which causes distractions. Students need to stop checking on Oncourse every two seconds.”

Final thoughts? 

“1:1 Chromebooks are very convenient.”

Mrs. Koransky, 7th/8th Grade Science

“In science, we use Chromebooks for research, interactive activities. I have the students watch videos and answer questions on their own. Collaborative projects.¨

¨I think the only distraction that I’ve had is when students are opening the Chromebooks at inappropriate times, but I think that because everybody gets used to the rules in the classroom, that will stop.¨

Final thoughts? 

“Now that everybody has 1:1, I’m excited to be able to get away from all the worksheets.  To be able to do more technology-based projects where students can share their ideas with each other and keep them and use less paper, that’s important.”

Mrs. Kelly

¨It gives access to completing assignments in Google Classroom, like being able to have everybody have their own Chromebooks so they can complete writing assignments. Things like NoRedInk. It’s easy to have everyone have access to type assignments all the time and share it with me and to be able to edit and assist with things as they’re editing live. I guess it just makes life easier in general, that we don’t need to hand write on paper and less printing. I can just grade them through Google Classroom.¨

I think the only time they’re distracting is when children are playing games and when children have secret tabs open and they flip back and forth between the tabs. I guess just when students are using them at an inappropriate time or when they shouldn’t be using them.

Final thoughts? 

I am actually quite surprised how responsible everyone is being so far. I haven’t had anybody who hasn’t brought it or hasn’t been charged. So far, everyone’s been responsible.

Mr. McCarthy 

6th Grade Students in Mr. McCarthy’s Science class utilizing Chromebooks for classwork.

I think they will be useful for accessing our online textbook and for things like google classroom where I post the quiz and test dates, project information, homework, do-nows. Students can use their Chromebooks to do their daily do-nows. We’re also going to be doing a project on famous scientists where each student will be assigned a famous scientist so it will be beneficial students can access databases.

They’re not really much of a distraction besides students not having them charged sometimes so they charge them in the classroom and the wires kind of get in the way. Overall, not yet. I don’t see that much of a distraction, it’s more of a positive thing. A positive impact on the students.

Final thoughts? 

No, I just think the staff and students are getting used to them and as time goes on they will become even more beneficial and a positive impact here at GW.

Overall, it seems as though most of the teachers think it is a great asset, as do the students.  With more time, students will be more disciplined on bringing them to school charged… and avoid the gaming until they get home!