Gay Straight Alliance Club

Kayla Rech, Staff Writer

George Washington Middle School has recently added a new club called the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA). The GSA, run by Wayne Valley HS sophomore, Alex Rech, along with his advisor Mrs. Degraft-Johnson, will be a safe place for LGBTQ+ students and supportive peers. It is a very relaxed environment in which all students are welcome to learn more about the LGBTQ+ community.

The students spend a lot of time creating positive social connections with their peers in a nonjudgmental environment. So far, they have had two meetings and plan to have one each month for the rest of the school year.

Alex Rech decided to start this club based on his experiences as a middle schooler at GW. Alex encountered many kids at GW who struggled with their identity or sexual orientation and realized that the school lacked a place where kids could feel comfortable talking about it together. “I think it’s important to have a club where questioning students can make new friends who are going through similar experiences and learn about the LGBT community,” says Rech. The GSA will also be active in raising awareness for the LGBTQ+ community at GW and in Wayne.

Come to the next GSA meeting in January to find out more about the club. There’s always snacks! Please see Mrs. Degraft-Johnson for permission slips.